Who are we?
New Brunswick Aboriginal Sport and Recreation Authority (NBASRA)
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
The New Brunswick Aboriginal Sport and Recreation Authority (NBASRA) is committed to guide, mobilize and promote a healthy, active lifestyle by developing sport and recreation opportunities for Aboriginal People in New Brunswick. We are committed to teach leadership, support for others and achieve a better lifestyle using the ability of sport and recreation.
We are also committed to assist our athletes, coaches and membership in achieving the highest possible level as an participant and a person.
The FN and Off Reserve First Nations Sport Authorities will have contributed to / or started the frame work to:
- Having a community-based sport and recreation organization devoted to promoting a healthy, active lifestyle within all Aboriginal communities in New Brunswick.
- The promotion of sport and recreation activities through a network of representation from each Aboriginal community in New Brunswick. Linkages have or are in the process of being established between the Aboriginal communities, governments and other sport and recreation bodies.
- Facility renovation and construction.
- Reinstating the Indian Summer Games to promote a healthy lifestyle and active living and to bring our people closer together with other Aboriginal communities in sport and recreation. This to achieve a healthy relationship between other cultures.
- To continue to train Aboriginal Athletes and coaches to be able to participate in Provincial, National and International events.
- We will continue to lobby the Canada Games Council for inclusion of Aboriginal teams in the games.
- To host annual clinics for our coaches, officials and volunteers to better themselves when representing our Aboriginal Athletes. To host training camps around the province for promising athletes.
- To assist our coaches, officials and volunteers to be trained as facilitators and start to administer our own clinics.
- To have in place the sports that will represent New Brunswick at the Indigenous games and other high level competition.
- Having Aboriginal athletes recognized for their achievements.